This visa allows a parent of a settle Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen to live permanently in Australia. As there is a high demand for family permanent visa and a limited number of visas allocated each year, the waiting period of a parent visa is up to 30 years. The application will not be moved up the queue even though there may be compelling and compassionate circumstances.
You may consider another similar visa application with shorter processing time but costs more namely the Contributory Parent Visa 143 and 173 which leads to permanent residency in Australia.
Who is eligible to apply:
- You must have at least one child living in Australia who is an Australian citizen, a settled permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen.
- At least half of your children are living permanently in Australia.
- You will need a sponsor to apply for the Parent Visa 103. Sponsorship can come from any of the following persons:
- Your child
- Your child’s partner
- The guardian or family member of your child
- The guardian or family member of your child’s partner
- A community organization
What you can do with the Visa:
- Reside in Australia permanently
- Travel in and out of Australia for five years
- Work or study in Australia
- Eligible for Medicare (the healthcare system subsidised by the Australian government.
- Sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
- Apply for citizenship when eligible
Obligations of sponsor:
- Your sponsor is required to provide all adequate support in terms of accommodation, finance and all relevant moral support for the first two years of your stay in Australia.
- These obligations must cover all financial support for the applicant and any accompanying family members.
- An Assurance of Support (AoS) must be placed with the government for the applicant and adult dependents.
- A sponsor can sponsor more than one parent for this visa